Saturday, September 8, 2007

Long week...

I know, I know... I should be posting more often than I have been. There's not a lot of terribly interesting stuff that goes on during the week, but I'll see what I can do.

Wednesday was another Korean culture-experience class. It was a continuation of the calligraphy-type art from the first session, so now we learned how to add four more lines to our grass paintings!
There's my finished product, including my name in Korean (or "hangul," as the Korean writing system is named) over on the right. Because of the way the Korean language works, though, it would technically be pronounced "Kuh-ree-suh-tee". My roommate, Da-eun, said it was cute when she saw it. :)

I didn't win any prizes this time, although the instructor said that it looked like the work of a famous calligrapher from one of the ancient dynasties, so that was pretty cool. The prizes this time were really pretty, because he used color! Here's Hanna with her first-prize roses and Kukka (both students from Finland) with her second-prize chrysanthemums.
On the board behind Kukka, by the way, is the directions for how to do our traditional grass-paintings. Each stroke is numbered, so they really are all supposed to come out the same.

Today was an especially long day. I woke up at 7:30am to make it to breakfast at 8 so I could go with Jonathan on a Daegu City bus tour. I think it's better narrated with the pictures, though, so I made another album (http://tlu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2009764&l=6c178&id=79500798) full of pictures. Have a look and tell me what you think!

Tomorrow I'm meeting Ally and Su-hyun to go with Su-hyun's family to lunch to celebrate her birthday and her baby nephew's 100th day. If all goes well, I'll have more pictures to post after that!

No comments: